Gawd wants his chosen people to leave Egypt but he "hardens the heart" of the Pharaoh in nine different instances so that he (the Pharaoh) won't let them leave. WHY would gawd do this?
Loving gawd sends 10 plagues down upon the people of Egypt to convince the Pharoah to "let my people go" yet gawd hardens the heart of the Pharoah so that the Pharoah cannot let his people go. What an asshole or.... more likely isn't it obvious this whole cock-a-manny story was fabricated by Taliban-like morons?
1. 4:21 And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.
2. 7:3 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt. 7:4 But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you, that I may lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring forth mine armies, and my people the children of Israel, out of the land of Egypt by great judgments.7:5 And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD,
God will make sure that Pharaoh does not listen to Moses, so that he can kill Egyptians with his armies and show them by gawd, that he is gawd and Ra is not.
3. 7:13 And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said. 7:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, Pharaoh's heart is hardened, he refuseth to let the people go.
4. 9:11 And the magicians could not stand before Moses because of the boils; for the boil was upon the magicians, and upon all the Egyptians.9:12 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had spoken unto Moses.
9:35 And the heart of Pharaoh was hardened, neither would he let the children of Israel go; as the LORD had spoken by Moses.
5. 10:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, (after the boils) and the heart of his servants, that I might shew these my signs before him:
6. 10:20 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, (after the locusts) so that he would not let the children of Israel go.
7. 10:27 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, (after three days of darkness) and he would not let them go.
8. 11:10 And Moses and Aaron did all these wonders (warned about the upcoming genocide) before Pharaoh: and the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go out of his land
9. 14:4 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, that he shall follow after them; (into the Red Sea) and I will be honoured upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host; that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD. And they did so.14:8 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued after the children of Israel: and the children of Israel went out with an high hand.
I, Tom Schaber, just (1:37 PM, April 25, 2010) figured out why gawd hardens the Pharaoh's heart!
The writer of Exodus (not Moses - that should be obvious by now) wanted to keep the story going. If the Pharoah gave in to the first plague, there would be no more plagues and the story would lose much of its punch. So, like any writer of a series comedy, drama, soap opera, etc. the writer needed a gimmick to keep the story going.